Old April 19th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

Default JFK ATIS: Strange????

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:25:24 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.

"...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."

WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?

Pick either "A" or "B":

A. Since New Yorkers are the politest and most obsequious people in
the country, it only follows that New York controllers would phrase
their instructions in the form of polite requests.

B. This is what is known as "an offer you cannot refuse."

Don