Old September 26th 03, 01:01 AM
Mike Spera

Jay,

Just because I have not heard of it being approved does not mean it
isn't. Could very well be. The home builders know WAY more than I do
about epoxy fillers (like 100% more than me). Besides, who cares if it
is approved or not if it holds up? Sorry for the overly strong reaction.

That tank repair will probably outlast the plane....

See Ya,
Mike

Jay Honeck wrote:
You wrench used epoxy-based filler? New one on me. I never knew that was
approved for use on fuel tanks. After sanding I'll bet the old
fiberglass job looked perfect too! Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice on the tanks. I wasn't aware that epoxy-based fillers
might not be approved for fuel tanks.

I think the reason he used it was that it is so fuel resistant throughout
the hardening process. Because of this property, he was able to fill the
voids in the fiberglass without having to drain the tanks, which saved
significant time and effort. There were no holes that went all the way
through to the gasoline compartment itself. Because I caught the problem
early, the repairs were considered a cosmetic repair rather than an
airworthiness issue -- perhaps that's the difference?

Our A&P is an EAA'er from way back (he's built several planes), is a
lifetime member (and former Grand Champion winner) of the Antique Aircraft
Association in Blakesburg, and a member of that elusive group known as the
"Quiet Birdmen". He is also the guy who rebuilt our O-540 last year. To
say I trust the guy implicitly would be an understatement -- but now you've
got me wondering.

I think the reason the fiberglass degraded goes back to a poor job being
done five years ago. I spoke with the guy who sold the previous owner the
plane (our plane is one of those gems that never seems to leave the
airport -- it just gets sold "internally"), and he said the tips were a
point of contention at the time of sale, because they had some hangar rash
and scratches on them. The seller agreed to re-do them (he owns a body
shop), but -- when the buyer removed the tips and tried to have them re-done
without any advanced warning -- the seller was unable to get to them right
away. (His "Corvette guy" was on vacation, or something...)

In a huff, the buyer took them to an out of town body shop, owned by a
friend, who did them right away. Apparently the seller didn't think too
highly of this shop, or their reputation -- so I guess I can believe trouble
was brewing from the get-go.

Well, anyhow, next step is paint. We'll see how long it holds up. (At
least now it's been done by a guy who will stand behind his work...)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source