Old November 23rd 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
boB[_1_]

Default Helicopter Simulators ------ OT for Kevin or anyone

Tom Frey wrote:
Snip-

about it. I do know I can neutralize my pedals, take my feet off
completely, and fly a traffic pattern in the FS9 Bell 206. Sometimes the
landing has some ground speed and my nose is not always lined up but at
any rate it's not realistic.

Snip-
boB

That's interesting, now you have me wondering if I ever want to continue my
project. I always thought I would like to get back to it someday but perhaps
not.

Which project Tom? Don't take my opinion as gospel, I've only played
around with the helicopter in the sim. It works well for instrument
procedures and can even help with some flight procedures.

Have you spent much time adjusting the control dampening in the software? I
assumed since it was adjustable, a person could tailor it to be just about
as challenging as desired. Also, it seems the rudder was linked for the
benefit of those without pedals, and could be switched on to REQUIRE inputs
for those with rudder pedals. Does this not function well?

Not for me. I have a big old blind Akita that likes to go to sleep on my
feet so I can't get to the pedals. It sort of made me learn to fly with
no tail rotor control. I've tried it with the AutoRudder checked and
then un-checked. There's not a lot of difference, at least in the
default and addon helicopters I play with.

I might also mention that several people told me the X-Plane software was
even more realistic in it's control inputs than MSFS. I bought a copy, but
drifted away from the project before I actually tried it. It's been a few
years ago, and if DODO was available at the time, I wasn't aware of it.

Tom

Several people now have mentioned X-Plane with good words to say about
it. It may be something to look at. Since you already have it can you
load it up and try a few flights?
--

boB
copter.six