Old January 4th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Pixel Dent

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Yes, I've had that. Usually the FMC decides what's best, but at least
I can override that and force a descent at a higher rate (provided
that I can tolerate the airspeed increase).

Well, once again I don't know much about airliners, but in smaller
planes at least you don't generally increase airspeed to descend you
reduce power. At least in the area of the country I fly ATC often has
speed restrictions on the airliners so they couldn't increase speed
during a descent if they wanted to. It's good practice to hold your
airspeed steady while reducing power to make your descent.

To really get a feel of how this all works I'd suggest you go to one of
those live atc sites and listen to an approach controller. You'd be
amazed how much you can learn listening to one for a half hour. At first
it will seem chaotic and then you'll realize there are patterns to what
he's doing with the planes.

I have a really hard time just understanding what they are saying
sometimes. I don't know how pilots and controllers manage to
understand each other without making mistakes.

Practice, practice, practice. Everyone has a hard time understanding at
first but the more you listen the more it makes sense.