Old May 29th 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

On 5/29/2019 6:57 AM, Charles Ethridge wrote:
"Last year, I did 400 off field landings with students in a a motor glider. {Emphasis by Tom Knauff} With few exceptions, each one of those pilots would have crashed during one of their first attempts at a real landing. (Remember we begin with easy fields.)"

Really?Â* Four hundred actual off field landings?Â* Or low approaches with
the engine running?Â* There's a big difference (unless the engine quits
during the go-around).

--
Dan, 5J