Old June 26th 15, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:04:43 PM UTC-4, Jim Lewis wrote:
Hi Bart,

It's interesting to me that "traffic pattern altitude" is not defined in 14 CFR part 1. As far as I know, any flight that includes a takeoff, climb and turn qualifies as a BFR flight. I'm sure no expert on the FAR's though.

I think I read somewhere that the FAA definition (somewhere) of traffic pattern flight includes the requirement that it be within a half mile of the landing spot. I can't remember where I saw this though.

Long dead thread resurrected... I was told at my CFI refresher clinic that
the FAA considers the low rope break to be a pattern flight, especially since
it helps promote safer flying by practicing emergency procedures.

Matt