Old December 31st 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Saved by a steep slope?

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 00:33:58 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

The New Zealand press is reporting an unusual crash. They say the glider
suffered catastrophic wing failure (most unusual in itself!), fell out
of control 1500 ft onto the steep side of a mountain, and the two
occupants escaped the crash without serious injury.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100...e-from-glider-

crash-south-of-blenheim

p.s. it drives me crazy when the press report "about 457 metres", an
extraordinarily precise number, when clearly someone estimated "1500
feet" to an accuracy of possibly not more than 500 feet. Perhaps if
US-based organisations report on this crash they will say "about 1499.34
feet" :-) :-)

Any idea what the motor glider was?

It looks a bit like an SF-25 to me, but are there any in NZ?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie