Old October 31st 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 12:06:03 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
Thanks for the detailed comments . There are several considerations still on the table (I have 500hrs including several hours in a Duo-Discus). My ideal motorized glider: 2-seater, easy to assemble, good trailer, dependable FES or non-pyloned powerplant, electric self-launcher (would settle for sustainer), good maneuverability. Trading-off on some features (other than my wife), the Stemme, Arcus M/T and Pipistrel Taurus electric both seem to come pretty close. I might consider a Stemme, but there doesn't seem to be many used VT's (better climb v S10), and as Dan mentioned, it doesn't maneuver like a 15m. Those are both out of my price range new. Other than Dave, there wasn't much discussion about sustainers. The numbers seem a bit tedious to find, so in general what is the weight penalty between self-launchers and sustainers? Reliability the same? Faster deployment? Yes, I would consider a single-place which would give more options. The newer electrics are compelling, but one might be waiting awhile to grab one. Aside from the deployment time, do they have a weight advantage as well (including Li batteries)? Dave's presentation included reference to a 30% incidence of engine failure (2-stroke?). Electrics must be an improvement over that, presumably. I have read Eric Greenwell's excellent articles at the ASA. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ASA-NewsGroup/info
Thanks again,
Mike

Good thoughts.
How easy is it to put a Stemme in the trailer? Most of them don't have trailers, and the enormous Cobra trailer includes some complicated bits.
Agree with Andreas' comments re ASH25Mi, etc. Hope to fly a 32 this week.
The 25 feels just like any of the others in the AS line after a short while..
The N4DM is also easy to fly but I have not rigged one and personally don't care for two-stroke engines in aircraft.
Mike, in the "you only live once" spirit... Go for the Arcus JET!
Jim