Old February 3rd 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default 2 cylinder engines

wrote in message
most of the V engines are around 90 lbs.
the Briggs 'n Stratton Vanguard is evidently around 70lb.

It's 125 lb. Not light at all. See
http://www.commercialpower.com/displ...sp?docid=80498

Dan

Yeah, something changed while I wasn't paying attention.

Up through 28 or 29 horsepower was in that lower range of weights, IIRC.
However, everything above 23 hp appears to now be part of their "big block"
series, which is around 125 pounds for the air cooled version. There is
also a liqued cooled version, which is even heavier.

While the "rest of the story" is probably interesting, your point is well
taken.

BTW, the 23 hp Briggs engine (like the 20 hp Kohler engine) is still in the
weight range that we remembered--although there does not appear to be any
advantage in horsepower per pound.

Peter