Old February 27th 18, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New LXNAV Wi-Fi Module

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 10:16:48 AM UTC+10:30, Roy B. wrote:
Jonathan:
I used the WiFi module my last time in South Africa. The initial set up is more than a little tedious as you have to put in your email address, password(s), OLC password etc. into the LX - all in a hunt & peck input method.. If you could do it on LX Styler (the LX PC program) and then import it into the module that would be great - but I am not sure that is doable. Paul Remde could comment on that.

Once installed correctly (it took several tries) the module does what it says it will do and it will upload your flight to OLC or to your phone via hotspot. But honestly it all struck me as a bit of a "solution in search of a problem". It is just not that hard to download a flight to an SD card or USB and then upload it (or give it to the scorer) and frequently it is very helpful to review your flight log before you upload it to OLC -especially if you fly in different configurations (15m and 18m) as it is easy to forget to reset the configuration in the LX.

There are further comments about complexity vs simplicity in the ClearNav vs LX 9000 discussion elsewhere.

ROY

It's just the first step to enabling new technologies. Already you can download weather forecasts (from SkySight) and see a live updating rain radar via the Wifi module too. I hope next comes a 3G module so you don't even need to tether.