Old April 1st 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default OLC uploading disabled? What does it mean?

I post to OLC at the request of a friend, long since retired from
soaring, he said it would be nice to gain points for the Albuquerque
Soaring club.Â* Then I discovered Skylines.aero.Â* It's free, has no
advertisements, and allows the use of knots, feet, and nautical miles,
the official units of aviation, has several screen backgrounds, etc.Â* I
use Skylines because it's easier to keep up my logs without having to
convert between metric and Imperial units (here comes another discussion).

On 3/31/2020 7:39 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Of course you know that "the cloud" is just someone else's computer...

And so is OLC. I'm not fond of the current format of OLC. But OTOH if we all scattered into posting our flights into many different servers it would no longer be easy to "go see what others' flights were like today". Thus people tend to mostly congregate on one such service, and stick with it for a while. The social dynamics of any possible switch to a new service are fascinating... I see that several people in the same US club have switched to Skylines.aero. I wonder how that came about. (And I wonder how Facebook will eventually suffer the fate of MySpace...)

Of course it is possible for one to upload the same flights to more than one service. Also it is possible, if somebody were to spend the time and money, to set up a meta-server that would redirect to the appropriate actual storage location for each flight.

--
Dan, 5J