Old July 10th 05, 06:21 PM
Doug S

In news:uzcAe.5205$rx4.2388@trndny05,
Toks Desalu slavered, and posted this:
I am not the expert or have knowledge in mediations, but I am pretty sure
that in term of mediations, they do not look at the history. They are only
concerned about current medical status. I'm sure that you know that some
medications are forbidden in aviation. I do not know if any of medications
you are currently taking are forbidden. Here is what I found on FAA
website:

6. What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?
The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying
medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is
adequately controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification
contingent on periodic reports.

1.. Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
2.. Angina pectoris
3.. Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that
has been symptomatic or clinically significant
4.. Myocardial infarction
5.. Cardiac valve replacement
6.. Permanent cardiac pacemaker
7.. Heart replacement
8.. Psychosis
9.. Bipolar disease
10.. Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly
manifested itself by overt acts
11.. Substance dependence
12.. Substance abuse
13.. Epilepsy
14.. Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of
cause
15.. Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without
satisfactory explanation of cause.
Now in term of DUI, under parts 61 and 67, FAA may deny an application if
an individual has had two or more alcohol-related motor vehicle
convictions or state motor vehicle administrative action within a 3-year
period. You had DUI in 2000, which is more than 3 years ago. I believed
that you are cleared in that case, but you still have to report it.

I hope this information will guide you to the right direction, but keep in
mind that I am not the expert.

If you are not familiar with sport pilot, you might want to look into it
in term of requirements before you apply for medical certificate.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar!

Huh. Interesting. When I looked at the information, migraine headaches
were one of the disqualifying medical conditions. From my understanding (I
believe the FAA website also has the drug list), migraines are allowable if
under control through a prophylactic drug (e.g. beta blocker) with no
reported side effects. Imitrex (another triptan type) is allowed, but
Relpax (the one I take if necessary) is not (although i would be willing to
switch); however, since I don't remember the website I was on, the info on
the site may be out of date. Relpax is a fairly new drug and may not have
made it yet. I *do* know that Daypro is an approved drug. And like I said,
I am not on any cholestorol lowering agents. My original post was more a
question of "are all these things cumulative." I mean, a history of only
migraines or only sit. depression is one thing, but would having had all
those things in combination make it more likely for denial...

As far as the Sport Pilot is concerned, I was trying to avoid that, mainly
because I live in a very busy class B area that has some weird weather
patterns (Detroit Metro); and aside from Plymouth-Mettetal (1D2), there's
not much in the way of uncontrolled airspace around here