Old March 24th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default Vehicular Ramp Access

In article ,
"Marco Leon" wrote:

Thanks for the info. A few questions if I may John.
1) How do the owners perform preventative maintenance on their aircraft?
Specifically, how do they get tools and supplies to the aircraft?

I've been TDY, so am just reading this now.

At KBED vehicles can drive through specific gates and get to T-hangars and also
tie-downs. We can only drive in non-movement areas. In fact, post-9/11, the
access gates now REQUIRE automobiles - no more walking through gates or riding
bikes. I had to put one of those magnet gizmos on my motorcycle to trip the
sensor.

2) Was there an issue with handicap access?

I don't understand the question. But the massport operation guys will escort you
as soon as they can - just call them up/

3) Has there been any pedestrian accidents on the ramp that may have been
prevented if there was vehicular access?

Don't think so.

4) Was there a fight before the airport took away access or was it close
enough to 9-11 that there was no pushback?

Massport doesn't even acknowledge pushback.

5) Does Hanscom have a photo badging system (or other security mechanisms)
for pilots/owners or is the removal of vehicular access the main security
measure?

Yes. We have a photo badge which we have to renew every two years.
And, again, I can drive my car (and motorcycle) through a gate to get
to my airplane.

--
Bob Noel
(gave up lookingn for a particular sig the lawyer will)