Old January 5th 05, 02:05 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:52:26 GMT, "Gary T. Ciampa" wrote:

All,

This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.

I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.

Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
area.

I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
go/no-go verification.

Be advised that the tool *may* be somewhat different than the standard aviation
variety. "Normal" aviation swages are designed so that the length of the swaged
areas for 1/16" and 3/32" cable is just slightly less than the length of the
nicopress sleeve.

I bought a swage about 15 years ago, though, that had a length of swaged area
less than 1/2 the length of the sleeves.

This is nominally not a problem, since you can just hit the sleeve several
times, like you do with 1/8" and larger. However, most aviation guides to
nicopressing call for only *one* swage on 1/16" and 3/32" sleeves. If you
follow those instructions with these "short" swages, only half the sleeve length
will be compressed and it probably won't develop the full rated strength.

The interesting thing, I bought that "short" swage from an aviation vendor.

Anyway, with the appropriate number of compressions and the correct go/no-go
gauge, it'll probably work fine. Personally, I bought another swage.

Ron Wanttaja