Old May 12th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 11:05:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Both the tow pilot and the glider pilot where very experienced. The glider pilot is also an instructor. The scout had a retractable tow rope with a guillotine release. It happened so quickly I doubt the tow pilot had any time to react and recover. This is just my opinion not official statement of course. I wasn’t at Byron that day. We will need to wait for at least the preliminary NTSB reports but we will make sure to cooperate with the NTSB investigator.
This is a tragic loss and we at NCSA are still in shock. Yet this is unfortunately not uncommon. Please keep in mind that these sorts of accidents have additional victim, the glider pilot who have to live with it. We are all human and prone to distraction no matter how experienced and trained we are. No one knowingly or purposely kite their glider.

Ramy

Did the glider have a flight data logger? If so, has the flight log been examined?

Tom