Old May 13th 20, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Things we don't teach to beginning glider pilots:

1. Don't kill the towpilot – Release immediately if you lose sight of the towplane or have any control problems.

2. Egress and use of chute. A K-21 on an intro flight lost control after a lightning strike and both pilots successfully used their chutes. Sadly last year that was not the case after a midair between another K-21 and towplane.

3. Handling a loose canopy. There's been a number of write-offs and fatalities because of this, even though gliders are perfectly flyable without a canopy.

You really need to know which rudder pedal will keep a side opening canopy down if it was not properly latched – easy to do on an L-33 (now a simulator cockpit) as I have witnessed.

Then there's the Puchaz which can lose the canopy in a sideslip if the latches are not perfectly adjusted.

Having a CG hook, I have my hand on the release until 300' up. Self preservation on the winch and towpilot preservation on aerotow. I'd much rather deal with writing off my glider than killing a towpilot.