Old May 7th 04, 12:37 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/5/04 10:11 PM, in article z9hmc.12056$k24.7196@fed1read01, "BTIZ"
wrote:

well... lets see... you must take your oral's differently than we do,
FAR/AIM, POH, Aircraft Logs, Weather charts, and weather reference material.

More than one DE has always asked the stumper question... just to see if you
know how to look something up.

BT

Probably a good deal of it is that my flight school has a very good idea of
what the DE wants to see and what info he's likely to ask. 90% of my private
oral seemed to come from the ASA prep book and the rest were questions that
my instructor and I had prepped for.

I fail to see the reasoning behind demonstrating my FAR/AIM research skills,
as it pertains to my ability to fly safely. I see that it is recommended to
bring the book to the ride, but since I've had no need to crack open the
thing in my last 4 years of flying, I don't see the point. I think a DE
should test the real world, not abstract FAA mumbo jumbo.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic