Old November 10th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Need a Usenet computer guru opinion please

Assuming I'll be separating the troll answers to this post from the
useful information, I need an answer to a Usenet question if anyone
wants to take a moment to try and help with a bad situation. To the
regulars, bear with me on this as I need this answer to fit some
missing pieces together.

I am in the process of dealing with an unknown person or persons using
my name to post here on this forum. It's no big deal really as I'm
sure any of you who matter recognize the difference between my posts
and the forgeries.

Fortunately I have a few international contacts who are looking into
it overseas for me. But discovering the culprit isn't my aim here
although that might be forthcoming with a bit of luck.
What's concerning me isn't the copied and pasted in text that has been
appearing here over my name, as anyone can do that, but rather how
someone can access the data and path necessary to have a post appear
with my name appearing as the poster in the thread hierarchy to the
point where someone can actually see my name as the poster and click
on the profile link to see my regular profile. For all practical
purposes, this would appear to be a post from me personally and I need
to find out how this person is accomplishing this.

For you Usenet gurus out there who might want to try and help with
this; I use Google groups for Usenet posting since I don't post all
that much any longer.
An example of the type of post I'm referring to where my name has been
forged can be found in the thread called [Complaint sent to x-
privat.org]
Checking that thread you will find a post supposedly from me, bearing
my name as the poster under a post from one of the suspect posts
showing the name of Ron May. On my Google threads this post shows as
number 8.Assuming I have no idea how this post appeared and had
nothing to do with it's being posted, can someone explain exactly how
a person can access this forum having my name and profile appear as
though the post came from me?
I understand someone could open an account on one of the free servers
using my name and have taken the steps necessary along those lines,
but how can their posts appear on Google Groups allowing access
through links to my profile.
Is there any way at all this can be stopped by notifying Google
Groups? Is this even a Google Groups problem?
Any and all input (expected trolls excepted of course :-) appreciated.
Thanks, an I'm very sorry for having to take up the band width to
address these issues.
Perhaps one of these days we can get back to talking flying again :-)
Dudley Henriques