Old October 29th 04, 01:48 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
(Klaus Hofmann) wrote:

Hello,
after one year experience with a 226, I think about replacing it
with a Zlin 242. I have flown 226, 526 and 142 and I know very well,
that the *26 ist the nicer airplane for aerobatics. But there are
little con's which ad up.
- If you (I) fly only a few times per month taildragger, doing the
(basic) acrobatics is easier than making good landings
- Compared to me, the neighbours don't like the sound (I don't
understand!)
- Glider-Towing is not very safe with 160hp
- Traveling impossible due to small fuel amount

What do you think, would a 242 be a good replacement?

Anybody who might be interested in the 226, will find it at
www.planecheck.com.
Any tips, hints for the 242?
Maybe somebody has one for sale(Europe prefered)..

Thanks
Klaus

I flew a friend's 242 about a year ago. We swapped rides between the 242
and my 57-year-old Johnson Rocket. The 242 is a nice-flying, albeit
slow, plane, with nice control feel.

On my flight, I flew a 360 overhead approach, killing power on the
break. I greased it on, then we switched planes. He did not handle the
Rocket as well as I flew the Zlin. He is an ex-USAF fighter pilot, who
also owns an L-29 jet.

I am just a civil pilot w™o has paid for all of my flying time.

In answer: yes, the Zlin 242 is a nice, easy-to-fly, responsive airplane.