Old June 5th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Default Spin training for US pilots?

Having learned to fly in the "good ol days" when power pilots actually
had to demonstrate a full stall as opposed to recognizing an eminent
stall, I am biased on this topic.
I have been flying aerobatics for most of my life and have taken
dozens of fellow pilots up for some adventure. When my fellow pilots
take control and attempt a full stall or spin, the vast majority
freeze up mentally and/or physically upon entering the maneuver. They
are not used to the feelings, the control feel, the sight picture, and
the sounds, or lack there of. It is my opinion that this is a major
factor in most of our "falling out of the sky" accidents. I agree
that because we fly so close to the bottom end of the flight envelop
we should be experts at recognizing and taking control of "departures
from controlled flight." It also takes regular practice. At the
least, I vote for our biennual fight reviews to include entering and
recovering from full stalls and full spins (providing the aircraft is
appropriate for this activity).

Guy Acheson "DDS"