Old May 23rd 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:02:38 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:45:04 AM UTC-4, Dave Walsh wrote:
I've never heard of or seen an accidental release; doubtless
they happen but the results are not, I assume, fatal for the
poor tug pilot.

A guy I knew accidentally released on tow and went into trees.
I don't keep hand on release, but I do practice grabbing it
to make sure I can do it quickly...

That has happened more than once.
One trick that is useful on gliders with low, center mounted releases that are are a bit harder to find, is to put a loop of parachute cord on the release that you can lay across your left thigh. Easy to find and pull with no looking. Gerhard Waibel came up with that idea after he couldn't find the release quick enough. His next glider design, and all after that, had it up on the left cockpit wall where it is easy to locate and pull.
FWIW
UH