View Single Post
Old June 5th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default How About Story Time

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:23:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:58:59 PM UTC-4, Neal Alders wrote:
First time on this group. Hello all!
My story is truly nothing fantastic in the grand scheme of things, but today was a red-letter day for me.
Today is a few weeks shy of my 32nd anniversary in aviation, specifically soaring. June 18, 1988, I was 12 ½ years old and went for my first ride in a 2-33 with one of the regulars at Valley Soaring. Today, May 31, 2020, I went up in a 2-33 again, after nearly 21 years out of a Schweizer, and 15 years since I flew any sailplane (5 flights in 2005 in an L-23), at Treasure Coast Soaring. I introduced myself to the CFI-G as I boarded and advised him, I am a semi-experienced sailplane pilot, but have effectively been out of it for over 2 decades. We hooked up behind Bob Youngblood in his yellow 180 hp Pawnee (My Favorite) and Tom told me to go ahead and fly. Took off, moved into a reasonably stable high tow (NOT my favorite!) released in some lift, managed a few hundred foot climb, flew around a bit, had another few hundred foot climb, entered the pattern and managed a nice landing and roll up to the requested stopping point. My instructor flattered me and considered that my club check out. Apparently, even after 4 ½ years in an Airbus, I still know how to use my feet! I was quite pleased with myself! After a nearly 60-day break from any flying from this Covid induced hysteria, getting back in the air was a much-needed distraction.
32 years ago, UH, and the Valley Soaring crew took me in as a 12 ½ year old junior. I went to UH’s house on the weekends in the winters, ate well, raced RC cars, learned the art of dope and fabric, sheet metal, composite, and steel tube repair and how to fabricate, design, engineer darn near anything. I also learned how to be who I am today. Yes, UH, it is your fault!
It is because I was given the opportunity to learn so many different things from so many amazingly talented people that I am who I am today.
32 years ago, I was an annoying, over enthusiastic kid who talked too much. Today, I am an Airbus 320 Captain for a major airline with bright yellow airplanes, who still talks too much. I owe it all to my family. All my family. Blood and otherwise. I could not have done any of it without all of you.
Thanks, UH and CDM, and everyone else at Valley Soaring.

Today’s story? I am a glider pilot again. Finally. And I couldn’t be happier. Thank you.

MS

I remember Neal waiting to be old enough to solo while his older sister had the keys to the 1-26 and flew all over. Finally the day came and he soloed, soon having the keys to Aunt Dianne's 1-26. He flew his first contest in that as a guest because he wasn't old enough to get the required private pilot certificate yet.
Neal got his PP glider on his 16th birthday, issued by an FAA inspector that did the check ride on a Sunday on his own time. Earlier that day he did his first airplane solo in our Super Cub. He didn't want to do it in Dad's Cardinal.
Later, with help, he restored a J3.
Then he went off to fly sky divers and build time to go to the airlines.
Maybe one of these days we'll get him back as an active glider pilot.
One of our success stories.
UH

I think he has the bug once again, I was laughing during the tow because I knew what Tommy was going to say, " the guy can fly"! Never question Tommy, with a PHD from MIT and Cambridge, who wants to argue. Bob