Old March 16th 04, 06:02 PM
Jim Vincent

Jim, if you go that route, build the strain gauge to display the hook
tension to the pilot for the purposes of flying a winch launch.

Good thought Bill, but I think it require at least two strain gauges to
implement this. Since the direction of the load changes during the course of
the winch launch, the load could not be measured by just one strain gauge. Two
are needed to provide the raw data to the instrument. Then, you need to do a
complete calibration of the system to determine the load ratios for various
angles and tensions since these are not readily calculatable. Then you need to
program a CPU accordingly.

Just a simple load / no load determination is far easier.

IMHO, regarding tension values during a winch launch, I've driven hundreds of
winch launches and believe the only value of a tension meter is to tell you if
you're approaching the breaking force of the cable/rope. The feedback from
engine noise, spool speed, glider pitch attitude, etc are far more valuable to
me when winching.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ