Old January 5th 19, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 4:56:24 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
Hi everyone

I just started glider flying lessons and I'M HOOKED!!! Unfortunately, the closest glider club is 3:45 hr drive away. I also live in an area that looks to me to be perfect for ridge soaring, with a range of mountains facing the west that runs for at least 85 miles, and possibly longer. We have an airport close by with a 4800' runway, about 2-3 miles west of the mountains. A friend is a CFI and A&P, and is interested in getting his "glider ticket" as well. There are a few other folks in the area that have expressed varying interest in flying gliders as well. But as it currently stands, no one (except one possible individual that I haven't yet talked to) in the area actually flies gliders. My friend and I have talked about the possibility of starting a local club. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

I have been reading all the ideas coming from the gallery and people are getting real creative these days. Two years ago myself and another got together in a hangar and said that we were going to start a glider club. We did exactly that, please read July 2018 Soaring magazine and you will get a few of the details. Today we are approaching 80 members, more are showing up almost every weekend to see the activity and X52.
Let me make a few suggestions, #1 you do not need fancy gliders to start, #2 build it and they will come! We started with a couple of members who made an investment in equipment and leased it back to the club. Our initial package was one tow plane and two gliders. Our primary trainer was the 233, the next ship was a 1-26. I bought a Pawnee to get us going and since that time our growth and additional gliders has been steady.
We just completed our second year and we surpassed the 1000 tow mark for the year, not bad!
You will need help, this is not a one person gig. Make sure you start off right, and try to avoid the roadblocks along the way, trust me, there will be plenty. Remember, you are not a commercial operation, clubs are different.. Don't be surprised if I show up there and become a member, Florida is getting too hot during the summer for this weathered old guy.