Old April 30th 04, 12:56 AM
B2431

From: "Simon Robbins"
Date: 4/29/2004 3:44 PM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message
Where did you get that idea? There are entire categories of competion

using
handguns (ever heard of the Olympics?) and many hunter use them as a

greater
challenge than long guns.

Yeah, but that's like suggesting martial arts, though used for competition
are designed for anything other than giving someone else a severely bad day.
Tell me, did Colt have competition in mind when he developed the revolver?
We've turned many dangerous activities into sport, but that doesn't disguise
their original intention.

Si

He didn't say "original intention," he said "only purpose" and Colt did make
target pistols.

Let's make an analogy to what you suggest. For thousands of years bows and
arrows have been weapons of war. Today they are primarily used for competition
or entertainment with some people using them for hunting. If a weapon's
orininal intent is to kill people then we should also ban archery and the
javelin from the Olympics.

Around the world thousands of people are killed with knives. Shall we ban them
from the kitchen because of them?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired