Old January 31st 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Hi Gerry:

I am currently using a ClearNav computer (but not the CN vario) in my US glider and an LX9000 in my South African glider, and have lots of hours and kilometers with both. So I can comment on them and the differences. A lot depends on your personal inclinations and desire/willingness to adjust, tinker and customize.

The LX units (the 8000, 9000 and 9070 are all using the same software system) are infinitely adjustable and customizable - almost to a maddening degree. You can adjust almost everything from volume of the voice warnings, type of vario audio lift & sink tones, width of lines on map, color saturation, etc. etc. etc. You can write your own checklists that will appear on the screen when you want. You can also do all of that on your own computer using the LX Styler program and then program the unit(or any other LX 8000 series unit) with the SD card. You can download your flights (or upload to OLC) by wireless transmission to a wireless internet connection or to your personal phone hotspot. The LX AHRS option (it's in the machine but you pay for the code to use it) is really cool but I doubt your could use it in the US ( we can do a little cloud flying in South Africa).

The ClearNav is a much simpler machine and more "set it and forget it" kind of device. It's much less adjustable/customizable - but to some that's a good thing. The ClearNav Area Task program (which scribes a blue arc line on where to turn to get back at minimum time)is pretty useful in competition.. The first time I used it I won the day. The CN uses a ribbon menu that pops up when needed and disappears when you don't want it.

The 2 machines use a different presentation approach. The LX9000 uses 3 different screens to show task, airports, and waypoints. Each of those screens can be customized as to what you want shown or not shown - and each pagecan have subsidiary pages if you want. The CN puts everything on one screen in a simpler presentation - so your task, waypoints, and airports are all right there on one screen. CN uses a "glide amoeba" to circle the airports that you can reach. LX lights up the ones you can reach with a green highlight. The CN screen can get a little crowded sometimes - but changing pages in the LX can be a pain sometimes, too. Both machines give you a current OLC optimzation score - LX does it in realtime while CN takes a few seconds to figure it out.

Task loading is easier/quicker with the LX - especially if your waypoint file is large. It sorts the file any number of different ways. CN customer support is super - if Gary can't fix it & return it overnight they give you a loaner unit. I have a non scientific sense that the LX is more of a power hog than the CN. You have to tell the LX whether you are using SLA or LiPe batteries. I don't think the CN cares.

Bottom line:if you like to adjust, customize and tinker with a computer and don't mind changing pages in flight you will like the LX units. If you want something more simple that is mostly set up for you already, and puts it all on one screen - you will like the ClearNav. For both units I recommend the stick grip controller.

Lastly - I suggest that you go to the convention in Reno, talk to the dealers and play with both units. I'd be happy to talk more with you there if you would like.
ROY