Old February 12th 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:52:03 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Most Trig glider dealers should be able to provide an antenna and either it will have a QMA antenna on it or they will install one for you and cut the GPS antenna cable to your length spec. I know Richard at Craggy Aero can do that for you.... he had one in his hand waving it at me when I last saw him :-) Give him a call.

There is nothing special about the GPS antenna mounting location, or really the GPS antenna itself... but the dealers have been checking out specific antennas. You install it in the same location as you would a GPS antenna for your flight computer.

Please don't use the silly TA70 wall wart antenna. That is TSO-ed-silliness on a stick, just not something suitable for a glider, and seems pretty contrary to the original easy adoption intent of TABS/TSO-C199. TRIG is aware of this, the TA70 came from earlier STCs for 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out installs.

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 3:13:48 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:04:37 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

Here is a screenshot of my portable Stratux ADS-B receiver (as would be used in many GA aircraft) receiving the ADS-B signal from the TT21 over 20 nautical miles away. Yes, it's a wave day out at Williams.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kik...SlslyEyMPo62Mu

And again just an reminder, the TN72 is a ~$350 (+ GPS antenna + install costs) GPS Source that can easily be added to any Trig transponder to deliver ADS-B Out in your glider. (If you need full 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out it's a little more involved). This is low-enough cost that it will likely be a "just do it" choice for owners who already have a Trig transponder, and who especially want to provide more visibility to GA traffic (and it makes your glider visible to PowerFLARM buddies at much longer distances).

Please expand on make/model antennae used and where it is located on G29.

Too many antenna. 4 GPS and 2 FLARM within 30". We need a reliable way to split/share GPS signal off a single antennae.