Old March 12th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cockpit exit assist for older pilots

Not sure if the comment was serious or gently humorous but strength training does make a big difference. The ASW 24 I've owned for 26 years has the deep cockpit characteristic of later (safety) Schleicher designs and it's somewhat more effort to hoist myself up now. If I didn't work out at the gym several times a week or focus on maintaining my weight through diet and running, it would be a real challenge to exit gracefully, especially wearing my parachute, as I always do. OK, maybe it's not so graceful , but I can still do it at age 66. And strength training is one reason why.

Chip Bearden