Old September 14th 04, 10:38 PM
OXMORON1

Ed and Robey discussed:
Last I saw he finished 24 out of 58 in his class. That's pretty good
(at least in the estimation of this former UPT IP.)

Ed, you trying to use some of that new fangled community college math
I been hearin' 'bout? 41% from the top is pretty good? Fair to say
you're not teaching statisics or probability. 8-)

"If the minimum wasn't good enough it wouldn't be the minimum". Upper
half of UPT is pretty good in my book. Hell, upper 80% was all it took
to be plowed back into a UPT instructor. Upper half was good enough
for back-seat F-4s, FACs, recce, transport and almost every other
command. With 1/3 of the class that I was in from Germany, we had guys
from the bottom of the class go across town to Luke to fly Zippers for
the Luftwaffe.

Yes, being in the upper half of a highly competitive UPT class is
pretty good.

'nother thing to remember, the ANG trainees had their assignment locked up
prior to entering UPT or UNT. The object was to learn the skill, especially the
flight portion.
There was not a lot of benefit for an ANG type to be a Distinguished Graduate
compared to the Active Duty types. The ANG types were not there to get a
Regular Commission with the DG laurels (well maybe a few we-o).
Also the primary function of class standing as I saw it was to have the proper
position for the assignment lottery a little over halfway through the course.
The last guy in the class got to stand up a say "Of course I want the AC-47
slot"
If you want to throw politics into the mix then explain how the Academy Grad,
general's son was in the bottom half of his nav school class, picked a C-123
slot and got a C-141 slot on graduation. RHIP

Rick