Old October 21st 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Goodbye, AvMap...

Jay still commenting about the slow slew rate of his new Garmin 496:
Skew...cursor disappears....screen goes blank...count to 3....cursor
reappears....screen reappears....cursor disappears....screen
disappears...count to 3...ad nauseum...

The 396 is about the same. I don't believe the faster refresh rate of
the 496 makes this any better. The faster refresh appears to be mainly
limited to the updates of the rotation of the map as you turn and the
faster response of the little airplane in the turn coordinator on the
panel page. Scrolling and slewing around appear to be about the same
(delay) in both units. However, I tried them at different times. If
anyone has both models in the same place at the same time to test please
report back to the group if there is a significant difference.

I will say that I only get the blank screen and wait when I move the
cursor initially just a little. After I have the redrawn screen, I can
slide around that screen without any more blanking provided I stay on
that screen. Once I slide off the screen it goes into the blank out mode
again.

Jay, is that what yours does?

Mike