Old October 21st 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Goodbye, AvMap...

I will say that I only get the blank screen and wait when I move the
cursor initially just a little. After I have the redrawn screen, I can
slide around that screen without any more blanking provided I stay on
that screen. Once I slide off the screen it goes into the blank out mode
again.

Jay, is that what yours does?

Yes, it works that way -- provided you stay on that screen. When I'm
on a long cross country flight, however -- say, from Iowa to Michigan
-- and I want to check current weather at my destination, that's gonna
require slewing (not skewing -- d'oh!) "across" several screens.

Cursor disappear...screen goes blank...count to 3....screen reappears,
slew across tiny little 3-inch screen...cursor disappears...screen goes
blank....count to 3....

Or you can zoom out, reposition the cursor, and zoom back in, hoping
that you've placed your cursor in approximately the right spot. If
not, zoom out, and try again! (Or slew...)

As long as you're not on a cross country flight, and the weather isn't
a factor, this design flaw never comes into play. Of course, that's
precisely when you need and want the weather most, is when you're on a
long cross country flight...

I may have already said this, but the 496 is an outstanding automotive
tool, by the way. We used it again the other day to find an obscure
address in a tiny town in a different state -- and "Bitchin' Betty"
directed me right into the driveway. It's an incredible tool.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA