Old November 8th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Train Wreck

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 9:53:43 AM UTC-7, Kevin Christner wrote:
Archer,

Worth repeating the relevant sections of the US Team Code of Conduct he

13.1.3 Courtesy. Courteous accessibility to visiting SSA members, sponsors, dignitaries and the Press.
13.1.4 Respect. Respect for the host organization, the facility, the rules of the airfield and the organization.
13.1.5 Treatment. Fair, considerate, courteous treatment of Team Management, Team Volunteers, and members of the public.
13.2.1 Highest Level. To maintain at all times a high standard of sportsmanship and fair play
13.2.6 Respect. Maintain an attitude of respect and politeness towards competitors both in the air and on the ground.
13.3 To Specifically Refrain From. To refrain from any behavior which might reflect unfavorably on the United States of America, the sport, the Team, its management, or which might bring any other pilot, official or the Team into disrepute

Rereading the document it is pretty clear to me that this is required at ALL times, not just during a competition.

I think most rational observers would agree many lines were crossed long (honestly several years) ago but no one should have any remaining doubts. Several years back the US Team came very close to pulling a member (711) because of perceived personality issues and a junior team member (OO) was removed during a competition where he had won several days because the TC thought he was drinking too late at night. Yet total silence regarding a psychopathic bully? The SSA / Team Committee needs to make a statement very soon as both of these individuals did far, far less. A permanent ban from future competition seems appropriate and justified.

Ok, I'll let others who know something about it make those determinations.
The necessary penalties/consequences, if any, will likely be determined by the necessary individuals, as they have in the past. Doesn't seem to be a problem there. Seems to me like the process, if slow for some, is essentially working! There's plenty of intelligent discussion about it going on in another thread and likely within more official channels past, present, and future.