Old April 4th 04, 03:00 PM
C J Campbell

"Peter" wrote in message
newszKbc.181002$po.990627@attbi_s52...

It's certainly not restricted to aviation headsets. For one example this
is very common for GPS receivers. Look at the prices at www.tvnav.com -
for many of the Garmin receivers it says to click to send email for
price. Clicking actually opens your email with the price already listed.

Actually, Garmin sent a threatening letter to all their retailers saying
that they would cut off shipments of the new GPSMAP 296 for six months to
any retailer that they determined had sold (not just advertised) one of
these units for less than $1,695. The letter also said that it was necessary
to protect the reputation of Garmin. Apparently tvnav.com has retaliated by
refusing to stock the 296. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other mass
marketers did the same. I suppose the smaller retailers would appreciate the
price protection if Garmin actually shipped them some units that they could
sell.