Old May 31st 05, 06:03 PM
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
oups.com...

So - what gives? Is this technique commonly taught? Do instructors
really believe it helps their student? Is it even legal (how do you
get a current altimeter setting during a long flight)?

I could make an impassioned case for either setting, but 91.121(a)(1)
settles the issue. The altimiter is always set at the current reported
altimeter setting of an appropriate available station or at the elevation of
the departure airport. That is what I have always taught my students.

Of course, here in south Florida the question is pretty academic.

Vaughn