Old January 7th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default USA 2013 Proposed Competition Rules Changes Available

On Monday, January 7, 2013 10:05:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:02:08 PM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

The proposed changes to the 2013 competition rules are posted on the SSA website.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...%20Summary.pdf

The deadline for comments to the Rules Committee is January 18, 2013.

For the committee,

John Godfrey (QT)

John,

The proposed rules state that the race ends at the edge of the finish cylinder. I know there has been some interest in eliminating the requirement for a landing back at the launch airport. Will this change eliminate that requirement as per 11.2.2.4?

Lane

XF

There was lively discussion about this in the RC meeting. In theory, once the race ends it shouldn't matter where you land. However, an RC member pointed out that there have been instances where a convenient field next to the contest site did not welcome gliders and that we would be inviting problems to remove the land at the airport requiremet. So the decision for now was to retain the requirement to still land at the contest site, but not because it is part of the race per se.

QT