Old February 21st 13, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Good News on Delorme InReach (2 min tracking and altitude vs. Spot w/10 min tracking and no altitude)

I have been battling with the Delorme folks a bit and have won a big, big argument with them that I think will benefit some of you.

The frustration I have had with Spot is its poor website interface, sub standard social app integration and general poor usability. The Spot connect device for example, will not start tracking unless you have cell phone data available when you want to begin tracking. If you do not have data available on your cellphone, no tracking! Additionally, their network offers only position at 10 minute intervals and no altitude.

Delorme offers 2 minute intervals with altitude!!! These improvements will make tracking soaring flights far more interesting and enjoyable for spectators, crews, family and friends. It will also make it obvious if the aircraft/pilot has landed or crashed (and potentially shorted response time to send help or begin a search). With spot for example you have no idea if the pilot is trying to make a low save over that point where traces are stacking up over time or if they are indeed on the ground. With that, I was very excited when I heard about the SSA's work to utilize the Delorme product into a new tracking capability. The 2 minute updates and altitude alone (along with better software on mobile and web) made the switch an easy decision.

The only issue, as you might expect, is the higher cost of the Delorme unit and service. The DeLorme InReach unit is $249 (http://www.cumulus-soaring..com/delorme.htm) vs. $150 for the Spot connect or $99 for the older Spot II. 2 aspects of the DeLorme subscription plan where, initially (yesterday), different. With DeLorme, the 2 minute interval for Aviation is considered a "professional" account. This provides upgraded 2 minute update intervals and altitude but comes at a more expensive rate with potential overage charges (bit based). The plans assume a certain number of flying hours per month (6 to 65) and range from $17 - $62 per month. It looks like, for me, the $40 per month (34 hours) would be sufficient for me.

The second aspect was the real problem. As I called DeLorme yesterday to register my unit and buy the subscription plan, I learned of a business practice which I found revolting. The support person told me that the unit required a special firmware update in order to support the 2 minute transmission schedule (the standard Delorme units use the traditional 10 minute intervals and this is how they come out of the box). The kicker was (wait for it.......) that that firmware upgrade was going to cost me an additional $100. I immediately thought of the complaining my Dad makes about the $99 to $200 per year cost of the Spot subscription plan for his glider. This complaining is not unique in the US soaring community. $40 per month ($480 per year) is alot already, but this "insult to injury" $100 firmware upgrade fee was simply out of bounds. There was little chance that most soaring pilots would pay for this additional capability with a $200+ annual additional cost.

Needless to say I took the support people on and made a distinct argument as to how ridiculous charging private pilots a $100 fee to use their more expensive service after buying their more expensive unit. I was transferred higher and higher up the chain as each person ran out of energy trying to justify the charge. I cited their own website, press releases and literature which claims all the aviation benefits (2 min, altitude, etc) but makes no mention of a more costly rate plan or firmware charge. Soon I was speaking with the head of marketing and he agreed to take my complaint (and mild threats to publicize the business practice and false advertising) to their executive strategy meeting this morning. After several emails to various Delorme executives last night and this morning, I received the email below. This email clearly acknowledges the stupidity of charging private pilots (glider pilots, etc) $100 to upgrade the product and explains that from this moment forward, DeLorme has changed its policy worldwide.

-----
Hello Sean

Thank you for your reply and interest in the DeLorme inReach.

I received permission to waive the $100 dollar upgrade in your case! Also in discussions with upper management we will waive this upgrade for any individual pilot. Thank you for your feedback!

To setup your account, please fill in the attached form and send it in a reply email with the IMEI number of the device and the plan you would like to choose from the Sell Sheet I sent you.

I would also need your Credit Card information listed below. Please contact our Customer Care department (800.511.2459) and any of my reps. can take this information.
Note: Please do not sent credit card information via email as that is an unsecure method of communication.

Name on Card:
Type:
Number:
Expiration Date:
Security Code: (on back of card)
Billing address on card (if different from attached form)

If you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Regards,

Kurt Ringrose
DeLorme Customer Care Manager
Email-
Phone- 207.846.7112
Fax- 207.847.5112
Many answers can be found at our on-line knowledge base within the link below.
http://support.delorme.com
Latitude 43°48.491' N, Longitude 70°09.844' W
----

I will have the my new DeLorme tracker running at Seniors in Florida in a couple weeks and the CC Clinic the week afterwards. Frank Paynter is also using the unit and is working with the SSA to get this higher level of tracking integrated with the SSA website!

Best,

Sean
F2