Old September 18th 03, 06:00 PM

In rec.aviation.ifr EDR wrote:
: You cannot fly a GPS approach with an old style VOR/DME RNAV receiver.
: The use of the term RNAV has changed over the past 20 years to include
: LORAN and GPS. If it was a VOR/DME approach, the approach plate would
: so state at the top. It is a GPS approach, and that is what the
: approach plate says.

There are a few approaches for use with your RNAV. I tried to
find some when I put the KNS-80 RNAV in my plane, but there aren't many.
I found that when they say RNAV, they usually put either (GPS) or
(VOR/DME) in parenthesis after it to clarify. You cannot use a VOR/DME
RNAV for any approach other than one published for it.

Now, that said, it sure makes it nice for quickly dialing up
checkpoints/intersections enroute or for an IAF if it's on the plate.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *