Old November 8th 05, 02:28 AM
Mitty

Default Software available for testing and evaluation.

On 11/6/2005 10:37 AM, Greg Siemon wrote the following:
"Mitty" wrote in message

Looks pretty slick.

1) I have SmartPlates. I'd be interested in your comments as to the
capabilities of the two products.

Both do about the same thing. I think they use their own server to download
the plates while I use the NACO server to download from.

Yes, their package can either download from NACO or "compressed" files from
their own server. I bought, thinking this meant that I didn't have to rely on
them -- in the event they went paws up I could just go to NACO. But this does
not appear to be the case, as there is some kind of database that downloads from
their server to manage the updating. So probably if they go down, the software
is dead. (Not that I have any reason to believe they have specific problems, it
is just the nature of small software companies to die sudden and early deaths.)

2) Economics? Do you plan to sell the product, sell update services,
etc.? Freeware is nice, but people have to eat and that tends to make
freeware programs into orphans.

Would not sell update service. If I can generate some interest would like
to get something for my efforts, I am thinking about half of SmartPlates.

Sounds pretty reasonable, especially of the buy is totally independent of you to
get plates once the software is purchased.