Old April 20th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default More Failed Autos Coming Soon.....

Hi Steve
It has always been of interest to me that I see so many helicopters
that experienced a chopped tailboom and how many of them were doing
instruction? To be sure, doing dual autos to the ground is anxious, but
why should it result in so many accidents if not for simple pilot
incompetency? I've been a rotor CFI since about 1971, and I've
experienced at least 5 mechanical malfunctions that took me to the
ground during crop dusting or ag operations. None of them resulted in
any damage as a result of the unscheduled landing. Sure I am very
experienced but not the ace of the base by any means. So, why should I
have been able to do the touchdown autos into spooky conditions and
places without damaging the helicopter? Proper training and proper
practice can be the only answer.
I'm really upset with this latest memo from the FAA and the continued
degradation of pilot skills and requirements. But then... you have to
ask this current crop of new military pilots I am doing screening with
prior to their commencing military training..... several of them have
come back into the office asking if there were any seat cushions for
sale since I had chewed their asses so badly about poor flight
performance and they needed something soft to sit on!
Again........ARRRRRrrrggggghhhhhhh
gg
Rocky