Old June 11th 17, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Installing 2 Varios / TE question

I'm in the process of getting an AC4 Russia back in the air after it has not flown in 9 years. During this project, I am having to update the panel and replace some instruments.

The end game is to have both the original Winter mechanical vario and a new LXNav S-80 in the panel. I know that I could leave the TE probe and the flask on the mechanical and plumb the S80 just to static and use electronic compensation on the S80 without the TE probe. I'm curious if this is the best way to go or is it possible (and better or worse) to use the TE on both instruments?

I understand the theoretical issue of using a single TE line on a pressure type and flow type vario...but....what about in practice?

I can't split the TE line anywhere other than behind the panel. What if I just installed 6 feet or so of tubing between the instruments and wrapped and secured it? In reading I found the following from Borgelt:

"Unless all the varios connected to the TE line are of the pressure transducer type, split the line as close to the TE probe as possible. This minimises interaction between the instruments caused by flow in the line from variometers which use capacity flasks and also prevents the pressure transducer vario response from being slowed by the presence of the flask causing a pneumatic low pass filter to be formed. In practice, placing the T piece under the seat near the rear of the seat area is good enough."

So, since I have to split under the panel, would my idea of using a bunch of extra tubing have the same effect? Is it worth the effort or should I just use electronic compensation on the S80? I guess I could also use the TE on the S80 and plumb the mechanical to static and the flask and use it with zero compensation as well.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Roger