Old February 26th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Default Pazmany PL4

On Feb 24, 9:17 am, "(Keith Sowter)"
wrote:
Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

Here's what I said about it on my website on VW powered homebuilts:

"Conventional gear single seat low wing all metal T-tail Aerobatic.
Laszlo got tired of taking heat for how long it took amateurs to build
PL-2's, and the energy crisis was upon us, so he designed a VW-powered
plane that only took 3000 hours instead of 6000 hours to build. The
belt reduction 1600cc engine didn't make the power he thought it
would, and very few, if any, other than the prototype, were actually
built with the engine it was designed for. A rugged, well engineered
airplane, with exceptional plans and builder's manual. I'll say that
again, you will not find a finer set of plans, and the assembly manual
is a complete education in building a metal airplane. I'll bet with a
bigger engine, and one of the Smith Engineering belt reductions that
GPASC sells it would go pretty good."

I've since heard from Veeduber (who knew Pazmany, and flew out of the
same airport as the prototype) that you could smell the first ship
before you could see it, as it burned, errr flew off the first 40
hours with the belts constantly slipping.

They ARE hell for stout, plus/minus 9G I think.