Old May 25th 05, 09:31 PM
Jay Honeck

Default The Boeing Triple 7

....is simply an awesome aircraft.

With 9 rows across (2+5+2) in an aircraft as long as a 747 -- but with only
two gigantic engines -- modern materials, an excellent sound system, and
little video screens in the seat backs, I was absolutely astounded at the
comfort and ride of this plane.

I've flown first and second-generation jet airliners (707s, DC-9s, 727s,
DC-10s, L-1011s, MD-80s) and was always annoyed at one thing or another,
usually the whiny noise level and air handling systems. Boeing has
addressed both issues in the 777, and in the three different aircraft we
rode in the noise level was almost unnaturally low -- and the air was fresh
without being overly dry.

And having a moving-map GPS display right in front of me was very cool, too!
(612 mph was our top ground speed -- at 35,000 feet.)

The new 787 Dreamliner is supposed to incorporate all the breakthroughs from
the 777, plus take advantage of the lightness and strength of composite
materials. Having just toured the immense plant where it is to be built,
let's hope Boeing has another winner in the wings...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA