Old May 17th 09, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default what engines are making successful aero engine conversions?

Morgans wrote:
How about a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine? I see some guy has been
using one for airplane use.

It seems like it would have a lot of things going for it. Air and oil
cooled, power output shaft designed to drive a primary drive belt, just like
could be used to drive a prop. Light and should have plenty of power for
your use. Plenty engines available, different sizes, and good supplies of
aftermarket parts.

The only drawback is the uneven drive pulses, and only two cylinders-at
that. Still, it seems to work for at least one guy.

I saw a three cylinder Harley-like engine on a TV motorcycle show once. I
wonder how that would work.

And, it sounds cool for a bonus!

I don't think a HD engine has sufficient cooling fins on the cylinder
heads to run at a steady power output and not melt. It's the VW problem
all over again. And as has already be discussed, casting cylinder heads
is no easy job.

If someone were to custom build an engine, there are HD parts that would
make the project go a bit quicker. I once sketched up an opposed twin
using parts from the all aluminum head HD engine back in the mid 1980s.
It was a somewhat doable project but I wasn't thinking of it as an
aircraft power plant but rather an modernization of the very rare WWII
military Harley XA.

Tony