View Single Post
Old May 20th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default LS 4 vs ASW 20

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:32:37 PM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
Your opinions please.

Walt

I have a few hundred hours in an LS4 compared to only about 20 or so in ASW20s (two original models sometimes called "A" and a C). So, there's a slight bias in terms of experience.

- LS4 is almost the perfect standard class glider. Incredibly easy to fly with good takeoff and landing characteristics and just doesn't bite unless horribly provoked. Excellent performance. The only two things I'd change are the landing gear (tiny wheel and pathetic brake) and the canopy mechanism (fiddly and insubstantial compared to Schleicher). I loved mine and sold it mainly because it was 20 years old and starting to require more care and feeding.

- ASW20 is just a classic 15M ship. I found the winglets to be a big improvement for low speed handling, but the original straight tips weren't too bad. The early 20's could land in a small pasture with L flap - just be sure you have enough energy to round out. I would say that a 20 in thermal flap can be "interesting" in a spin if provoked; I found that it would recover at or maybe slightly beyond vertical depending on CG and the spin entry mode. Maybe a little more of a handful than the LS4, but something you would easily get used to with some hours.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either of these. If you're buying used, it's the age old compromise of airframe, instruments, and trailer. A refinish is the biggest cost, followed by trailer and then instruments.

Email me directly if you want more notes on the LS4; I have a whole notebook I wrote up when I owned mine.

P3