Old August 6th 18, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:10:19 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I also experienced recently slow takeoffs in my fully ballasted 29 which felt very uncomfortable. The yaw string was all over the place often showing skidding. I am noticing it more in my 18m 29 than my 27, perhaps since the wing loading is higher, or due to more adverse yaw. Seems like 70 knots should be the minimum, preferably 75 knots.

Ramy

From a glider pilot (who has BTDT) and a current towpilot - the answer is simple, if not always effective: ALWAYS establish comms with the tow pilot before the tow (satisfies the FAR requirement for a pilot to pilot briefing).. If you (or the tow plane) do not have working radios, get face to face with the tuggie and TELL HIM what speed to fly - that is YOUR responsibility..

Once on tow, if the tow starts to slow down - TELL HIM ON THE RADIO TO SPEED UP! That's why you have the darn thing! Then, if the tow continues to get dangerously slow (when you can't stay above the wake) and radio or wing rocks do not solve the problem, release (assuming you are high enough for a safe PTT) and get face to face with the tow pilot when he lands and explain the problem, nicely. Especially with tow pilots that are not also glider pilots, they REALLY may not understand what is going on at the back end of the rope!

Most tow pilots really want to give you a good tow, but feedback can be rare; take the time to debrief you tow pilot if anything unusual happens on tow, and when possible brief and practice emergencies on tow - visual signals (both glider and towplane), simulated tow plane engine failure, glider dive brakes open, etc. Makes the tow more interesting than just a drag around the local area waiting for 3000' AGL to appear on the clock...

Cheers,

66