Old June 9th 19, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Transponder check

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 6:56:53 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Yesterday the company I work for had a problem with many aircraft (hundreds) that had ADSB recently installed. There was an unusual amount of solar activity that knocked out the ADSB and as a consequence the transponder too.. I dont know the details but it was only a problem for one aircraft type in the fleet. My point here is that in some equipment/instalation combinations solar activity will effect reliability of these systems.

It will be interesting to understand what is going on there, multiple reports on twitter and elsewhere of CRJ and some Boeing aircraft having issues.

It should take a very large solar flare to affect GPS reception. With a few quick searches I don’t see reports of large solar flares or geomagnetic storms. Where is John Leibacher when you need him? :-)

An ADS-B GPS receiver problem should not ever “knock-out” a transponder. It may prevent the transponder transmitting ADS-B position data, but the device should keep working as a transponder. If it is then... wholly ASB and AD Batman.

I am curious if all those aircraft have Rockwell Collins receivers like GLU-925/GLU-2100 series?