Old October 3rd 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sunset and nigh flying definitions

I guess that answers it in black and white. I searched for glider
specific.

Ben Jeffrey

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
"Ben Jeffrey" wrote:

Equipment requirements for night flight: FAR 91.205(c)

I can find no reference in the FARs that further limits gliders to
operations between sunrise and sunset.

It's there, you just need to go a little further down the
FARs to this one:

Sec. 91.209 Aircraft lights.
No person may:
(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise ....
(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position
lights; ..

Gliders are "aircraft" and most don't have "lighted position
lights" so most gliders can't fly from "sunset to sunrise."
You will hunt in vain in the FARs for a definition of sunset
or sunrise, but we can assume the FAA will come up with one
if they want to charge you :-)

--
T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)