Old July 13th 14, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying a Pegasus 101A

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:56:56 PM UTC-4, ACF wrote:
There are a couple of Pegasus 101A gliders on wings and wheels want ads with around 500 hours of flight time for $20k. How significant is the 3000 hour life limit when the glider only has 500 hours (claimed)? Seems like a good deal but what am I missing?

I concur with Pierre Vav that the Pegasus is a fabulous glider, and it is a delight to fly. S.N. Centair has provided excellent and rapid response for the few parts that I have needed during the past 17 years that I have owned my Pegasus. The one deficiency is the poor stopping capability of the drum wheel brake, but this can be corrected since Beringer sells a new disc brake with the required STC, specifically for the Pegasus. Realistically a single owner is lucky if they fly more than 100 hours per year, thus a 500hr ship will take a 100hr/year owner ~25 years to reach the 3000hrs hour life in the the USA. Then they can sell their ~50-year old Pegasus to a non-US owner in another country where the USA 3000hr limit does not apply. The ~$20K sale price of a Pegasus is a steal regarding the performance per dollar. My Pegasus has given me tremendous enjoyment and the depreciation in value has been negligible over the past 17 years.