Old December 8th 03, 09:29 PM
Rob Perkins

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:03:41 GMT, Martin Hotze
wrote:

Hm, I don't have the details, but isn't there a stoy about the Japanese
ambassador to the USA being late delivering the declaration of war?

Yeah. He was late. Wouldn't have changed the outcome. That was the day
that brought the U.S. into the war, and the first time in a longlong
time that the U.S. had had its backside handed to it by an aggressive
enemy.

And, yes, I don't think the outcome of WWII would have been a free
Austria without the U.S. in the middle of it. Roosevelt was one of the
principal founders of the United Nations, after all. I don't think
Stalin, Degualle, and Churchill would have been able to pull it off;
Stalin would not have come to the table. And even in '45 Britain could
not have stood alone against the U.S.S.R.'s creation of satellite
states. Had Russia freed Austria it would not have been the neutral
republic it was for the last half of the 20th.

Rob