Old December 8th 03, 09:30 PM
David Brooks

"Michael 182" wrote in message
news:aX5Bb.473209$Fm2.460844@attbi_s04...

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:34:55 GMT, Geoffrey Barnes wrote:

*hmmm* still no clue ... well, *googling* ... oh. Pearl Harbor.
Hm, not that important of a date here in Europe and/but well known in

the
US, I assume.

Come on Martin - I agree with a lot of your posts that accuse the US of a
provinicial world-view, but to say Pearl Harbor was not a date important

in
world history is ludicrous. It was the precipitating event that drew the

US
into WWII, which, as I remember, had a pretty large effect on Europe.

Saying
Pearl Harbor is an unimportant date in European history is like saying the
rise of Nazism was unimportant in US history.

Agreed, but see my post on distinguishing the date from the event. Following
your analogy, Americans should be able to immediately identify the day/month
a certain person became Reichskanzler. Or, for a closer analogy, the day
Britain declared war.

But I do realize I'm putting (alternative) words into Martin's mouth.

-- David Brooks